
Darrius is going to summer camp at Yong In Martial Arts Academy. Every day the kids go on a field trip. It's normally the same trips every week. For instance, Mondays is Chuck-E-Cheese, Tuesdays they go to the park. Well one of their trips is a weekly trip to Six Flags in Largo, MD. The kids have to buy a season pass which is $60 bucks. It's a good price considering they go weekly. Darrius has never been a thrill-seeking kid. He's like me - cautious. He doesn't get his kicks doing dangerous stuff. So needless to say, he's not a roller coaster fan - until now. They've gone to Six Flags the last four weeks and each week, Darrius has stepped out of his comfort zone and has gotten a little adventurous.
A couple of weeks ago, Darrius was talking about his Six Flags trip and asked me if I like going on roller coasters. I told him no I don't. I have a fear of heights and roller coasters are not my friend. I then proceeded to tell him that back in the day when I used to go to Kings Dominion, I would get on roller coasters due to peer pressure. I didn't want to be the only one sitting on the bench waiting, while everyone else was standing in line to get on the rides. Little did I know, he would take this to heart and do the exact same thing.
It worked for him. Each week he has gone on more roller coasters, multiple times, and when I would pick him up, he would be so excited, telling me about the rides he went on and how many times. I'm proud of him. He didn't let fear get in his way. He took my ass backwards way of riding roller coasters and used it to conquer his fear. Go Darrius!
But now he's a roller coaster, riding MONSTER! He has become obsessed with riding them. The last two days, he has been on Six Flags' website showing me the roller coasters he's been on, telling me the height of the drop and how fast they go. And now he wants us all to go to Six Flags when his dad is back in town. I told him he could count me out. I still don't like roller coasters to this day! So now I have a 10 year old trying to convince me that roller coasters are not scary and I have nothing to be afraid of.
This make me laugh. He then says "If I can ride a roller coaster, I know you can Mom. There's nothing to scared of."
Boy, the tables have turned.
I'm still not getting on anybody's roller coaster.
No comments:
Post a Comment